The Department of Special & Area Studies Collections is an extensive department with several service points and collection spaces. The Smathers Library building (Library East) houses the Map & Imagery Library on the first floor, the Grand Reading Room (GRR) and the Judaica Suite on the second floor, and the Latin American & Caribbean Collection (LACC) on the third floor. Maps and LACC have circulating, browsable collections; materials handled through the GRR are non-circulating and are requested at the desk. Some materials are housed off-site and require advance notice for retrieval and use. In addition, the circulating collections of the Isser and Rae Price Library of Judaica and Africana Collections are located in Library West.
Using the Collections
Researchers are encouraged to email (email@example.com), telephone, or write at least 5 business days in advance of their visit to ensure materials are available for use. University Archives collections must be reviewed for portions that may be restricted due to the requirements of applicable state and federal laws; other collections’ materials may be housed offsite and must be retrieved.
- Grand Reading Room Policies
- Travel Grants and Fellowship Opportunities
- Copying/Printing in the Libraries
- Setting up Wireless
For information on using individual collections, see the Overview of Collections.
Parking on Campus
UF offers paid parking on campus at the Visitor Welcome Center in the Reitz Union. The garage is about a 15-minute walk to the Smathers Building.
Reitz Union Garage, 655 Reitz Union Dr.
General Information on UF Parking
External (non-UF) Paid Parking
- Roberts Stadium Club parking, 16 NW 18th Street, 10-minute walk to Smathers. Cash and credit cards accepted. https://stadiumclubuf.com/parking/
- The Standard Parking Garage, 1324 NW 2nd Ave, 5-minute walk to Smathers. Credit cards only.
- Midtown Apartments parking garage, one block north of the Stadium Club, 104 NW 17th St. Credit cards only.
- Parking lot across the street from Smathers Library, 147 NW 16th St. Cash only.
- Reitz Union Hotel (center of campus; 15-minute walk to Smathers)
- UF Hilton Hotel & Conference Center (not within walking distance of Smathers)
- Holiday Inn Gainesville-University Center
- The AC Hotel Gainesville Downtown (Marriott), 151 NW 14th St.; 5-minute walk to Smathers
- Visit Gainesville – Places to Stay
- List of available lodging through the Alachua County Visitors & Convention Bureau (“Come and stay awhile” has listings for hotels and bed & breakfasts)